Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has distanced himself from the rumours that he could take over at Barcelona next season but has also said his current club are “free” to decide his future.
Luis Enrique will not be in charge of Barcelona next season after it was announced this week that he’s going to leave the Spanish club this summer.
Wenger’s future is also uncertain as his contract expires at the end of this campaign, but the 67-year-old made it clear in February that he wants to stay.
It appears that his situation has not changed. When asked on Thursday if he was interested in the Barcelona job, he said:
“No, my preference has always been the same and will remain the same”.
Although he wants to make a decision on his future over the next two months, Wenger also suggested that he will respect any decision the club makes as well.
“The club is free to make the decision it wants and I will respect that”, he said during his press conference ahead of his side’s trip to Anfield on Sunday.
Enrique announced his decision to leave Barcelona following a 6-1 victory against Sporting Gijon on Wednesday evening.
His side are back on track in La Liga after struggling earlier on this season and are now top of the league, one point ahead of Real Madrid. However, Los Blancos have a game in hand meaning they could take back top spot.
Barcelona are also facing elimination from the Champions League after suffering a shock 4-0 defeat away to Paris Saint-Germain in the first leg of their last 16 tie.
Despite this, they are still very much alive in the title race and have a Copa del Ray final against Alaves to look forward to in May, meaning it could still be a successful season for the Spanish giants.